RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment, in partnership with publisher Versus Evil has announced update 5.0 for Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire. To accompany the one year anniversary, they have introduced new content, balances, and fixes along with the full release of turn-based mode.
This update further refines the ship to ship encounters as players navigate the open ocean of the Deadfire archipelago. There is also new story content from the original actors which improves the story aspects, with Woedica and Eotha. Live in this update is the final God Challenge, which turns on all the other god challenges, and also Solo (no companions), Trail of Iron (only allowed one save file, and if you die this is deleted), and Path of Damned (hardest difficulty).
Obsidian is also providing a revised set of pen-and-paper rules for Pillars of Eternity, for everyone to try out. If you are interested in playing a table game in the world of Eora, head to https://eternity.obsidian.net and download the ruleset.
Lastly, Obsidian is holding a competition for the Ultimate God Challenge where you can get an embroidered patch, and your name, character, class, and level engraved on a plaque to be hung in the Obsidian offices.
Update 5.0 Features in detail
- New Ship UI – An update to the UI has been implemented that will come up any time players engage with a ship on the seas that brings a more elegant way to ship-to-ship encounters.
- Turn-Based Mode Out of Beta – Thanks to feedback from the community, Obsidian have made a lot of changes to turn-based mode to account for bugs and balance fixes and it is now in full release with the 5.0 patch.
- New Story Content Added – After listening to feedback on the critical path of the game when it came to reactivity with Woedica and Eothas, Obsidian have been able to go in and write new lines and get them recorded by the original actors to add more to that aspect of the game.
- The Ultimate – The final God Challenge will be live with the 5.0 patch. This challenge, “The Ultimate” will turn on all other God Challenges, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, and Solo mode.
- Revised Paper Rules – This can be downloaded by visiting eternity.obsidian.net. Those who had the PnP starter guide as a digital reward through the Fig Campaign, or those who have the Deluxe or Obsidian editions of the game will also get the updated rules.
- Ultimate God Contest – Those who complete the challenge and show Obsidian proof through either a YouTube playlist of their playthrough, or links to videos via Dropbox (all submitted to [email protected]), can have the chance to get a patch sent to them from Obsidian. The first 12 to complete the challenge will get a patch, but will also have their name, their character’s name, their class and level, engraved on a plaque in the Obsidian offices*.
Check out the trailer